Granit Construction Stock Co. was founded as a “company for construction of roads for the requirements of the Socialist Republic of Macedonia” under a government decision of the S.R. Macedonia no. 1235/52 on November 24, 1952. In the following 57 years Granit has transformed from a state-owned company to a Joint Stock company by privatization in 1996, growing to become the largest Macedonian civil contractor.
During the Yugoslav era, Granit developed its capacities and became capable for executing more complex projects. Since the Macedonian Market could not satisfy Granit`s full capacity, Granit expanded and started participating in international projects.
Nowadays, Granit strives to maintain a balance between operating the domestic and foreign market in order to maintain its leading position in the construction. Granit will continue to be committed for the infrastructural development in Macedonia as well as excel and gather knowledge from operating on foreign market.
Men who stand behind the name of Granit today, have one wish in common – to preserve all that has been created until now, so that Granit can step into the future even more granite-like.
• Granit is taking part in the reconstruction after the Skopje earthquake which levels the bigger part of the city to the ground.
• First contract abroad and in the middle east, Construction of the Homs-Salet highway in Syria.
• Takes part in the construction of the Cvetendorf nuclear power plant in Austria.
• Granit is awarded a contract to build a Kuwaiti military airbase (contract of 162.000.000,00 USD) which is the first major project abroad.
• Granit enters the Lybian market constructing highways and streets in Bengazi.
• Granit wins it’s second biggest contract (93.500.000,00 USD) in residential building in Misurata, Lybia. • Project 202-B-2 military airfields (249.500.000,00 USD) in Iraq.
• Project 1100 - military airfield in Iraq.
• Rehabilitation of the Kuwaiti International Airport runway. • Construction of a military airbase in Algeria.
• The first project abroad after the collapse of Yugoslavia, construction of Novokuzneck Steel factory, Granit’s first project in Russia.
• Entered the Bulgarian market: contracts ca. 57.500.000 USD
• Granit was transformed into a joint stock company and became the first civil contractor with private capital in the country.
• Rehabilitation of Sarajevo airport. • Rehabilitation of Sofia airport.
• Entered the Albanian Market - winning four contracts (ca. 60.000.000 EUR) in 3 years period.
• Granit wins the construction of motorway European Corridor 8, Construction of Skopje • Ring road, section Hipodrom – Orizari, ca.72.000.000 EUR.
• Entered the Croatian market; contracts ca. 62.520.000 EUR • Entered Ukraine market; contracts ca.135.000.000 EUR
• Granit won the rehabilitation of Pristine Airport, Kosovo. • Construction of Dam Zletovica, ca.14.000.000 EUR. • Granit started working on the construction of the Dam Sveta Petka, contract ca. 12.000.000 EUR.
• Entered into a consortium for construction and use under concession of 7 hydro plants.
• Project of 145 High school halls ca. 69.000.000 EUR • Granit signed contract with REK Bitola for excavation of coal ca. 23.000.000 EUR
• Construction of the State archive, Constitutional court and Archeological museum in Macedonia ca 26.500.000 EUR. • Signed contracts with the Public Enterprise for State Roads, for construction and rehabilitation of motorways and local roads in Macedonia ca 29.000.000 EUR. • Signed Contracts with the Directorate for technological industrial development zones ca 17.600.000 EUR. • Granit signed contract with REK Bitola for excavation of coal ca, 37.000.000 EUR.
• Signed contracts with the Public Enterprise for State Roads, for construction and rehabilitation of motorways and local roads in Macedonia ca 19.000.000 EUR.
• Granit signed another contract with REK Bitola for excavation of coal, ca 54.000.000 EUR. • Granit signed contract with Public Company “Republic Of Srpska Motorways” for constructionof motorway Banja Luka – Doboj, section Prnjavor – Doboj. Contract ca. 180.000.000 EUR.
• Granit signed contract with Public Company “Republic Of Srpska Motorways” for construction of motorway Banja Luka – Doboj, section Banja Luka – Prnjavor. Contract ca. 158.000.000 EUR. • Signed contracts with the Public Enterprise for State Roads, for construction and rehabilitation of motorways and local roads in Macedonia ca 22.500.000 EUR. • Granit won the construction of the Tower for telecommunications of AEK- antenna system for control and monitoring of the radiofrequencies in the territory of Macedonia, ca. 21.000.000 EUR. • Granit started with the construction of the Hydropower plant Jablanica, with capacity of 3,4MWh. • Granit started with the construction of regional road in settlement Sunny City in Skopje, Macedonia ca. 8.000.000 EUR
• Granit signed contract with Sinohydro Corporation Limited Bejing- Branch Office Skopje for construction of motorway Miladinovci - Stip section Sveti Nikole - Stip. Contract ca. 38.500.000 EUR. • Granit signed contract with Sinohydro Corporation Limited Bejing - Branch Office Skopje for construction of motorway Kicevo - Ohrid. Contract ca. 118.000.000 EUR
PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION
The company successfully completed the certification process for standards BS OHSAS 18001:2007 – Occupational Health & Safety Advisory System, ISO 14001:2004 – Environment Management System and ISO 9001:2008 – Quality Management System.
These three systems, together, make Granit competitive on the Macedonian market of construction and in the wider region.
The adoption of these standards, at a time of global economic recession, is of great importance for Granit.
Leadership structure and staff employed in Granit are familiar with laws and other regulations deriving from their obligations in current operations, to preserve and protect the environment and enabling conditions for preserving the safety and health of employees at work.
The construction on construction sites, asphalt and concrete bases, quarries and separation, management and employees working on these resources to take all protective measures and activities aimed at reducing harmful impact on the environment and its protection, and full attention to safety and health employees at work.
Granit has two-tier system comprised of Management Board and Supervisory Board.
Granit’s management characterizes employees as ambitious and self-motivated and exercise self-control. Employees at Granit enjoy their mental and physical work duties. According to head of HR department, to them work is as natural as play.
They possess the ability for creative problem solving, while their talents are maximum utilized in problem solving cases. Given the proper conditions, employees seek out and accept responsibility and exercise self-control and self-direction in accomplishing objectives to which they are committed.
We believe that by giving the right conditions, most people will want to perform well at work. The satisfaction of doing a good job is a strong motivation. Our managers are open to a more positive view of workers and the possibilities that emerge.
Developing climate of trust with employees that is also required for human resource development is the essential part of our human resource strategy. It’s here through human resource development that is a crucial aspect of our organization.
This includes managers communicating openly with subordinates, minimizing the difference between superior-employee relationships, creating a comfortable environment in which employees can develop and use their abilities. This climate includes the sharing of decision making so that employees have a saying in decisions that influence them.
Granit continues to invest in the constant development of our employees professional and personal skills.
We believe that giving our employees more responsibility allows them to grow.